Thursday, 29 July 2010

Mother Protector

Just for you Janet, this is how the picture looks now it's framed. I had this frame already and couldn't find any of my existing pictures to put in it, with the very heavy black frame, they just didn't look right. I sort of did the elephant with the frame in mind. I have not used a mount. I think that the white paper works just as well. (the greyish area around the frame is my kitchen wall, not part of the frame).



Here it is all finished with a dusty background. The background is not what I set out to do at the start, but it took over from what I had in mind so I went with the flow and this is what I ended up with. I don't fight with my instinctive drawing, and I am sometimes pleasantly surprised with what can happen. I think that if I had done what I originally wanted it would have looked too dominant and perhaps not worked at all. I am happy with the result.

 'Mother Protector'



This is my latest, done in graphite for a change. It is not completely finished yet. I am planning a background, a very simple one, based on light rather than detail. I am not completely confident I can pull it off, so thought I would show you what I have done so far in case I mess it up!!

I have a frame for it and if I complete it successfully I will hang it in our 'Diversity' exhibition in Illminster in September.

Size: Approx A3
Paper: Mellotex ultra white
Pencils 3B mechanical, HB 0.5 mechanical and 7B woody for the very dark darks.


Tuesday, 13 July 2010

The Likely Lads

This is my latest. I really struggled to maintain my interest, but I got there in the end. I so didnt want to spoil it by rushing it.

Tinted Charcoal on Pastelmat. Size approx A3.

Thursday, 8 July 2010

Sunny Meadows

I started this one some time back, but abandoned it as I could see it wasn't really working that well. It was suggested that I crop it,  I liked the bottom left corner (thanks Pauline). After thinking about it for awhile, that's what I did. I decided where I wanted the image to finish and this is it. I am putting up the first attempt to show why I didn't like it and then the cropped image.
I used coloured pencil dissolved with a  low odour solvent (Pauline's method) on a yellow pastelmat.
The first one is approximately A3 in size the final is cropped down to 11" x 6.5".