Thursday 26 January 2012

African Painted Wild dog

This was a new try-out for me, a very detailed animal in transparent watercolour.
I am a long way from being comfortable with watercolours but this was something I had wanted to try for a long time. So here it is, an African Wild Dog or Painted Dog. I have called it 'Rear Guard' as he seems to be checking for any stragglers in the pack.


It measures: 11" x 8.5"
Paper used is Fabriano Artistico HP watercolour paper
Paints. Windsor and Newton artists colours.

3 comments:

  1. Great job for the first go round, These are very interesting animals. I've been toying with painting one myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, I love the markings on these chaps. I had the pleasure to visit a pack at a breeding centre in South Africa, and I really fell in love with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is incredible I ADORE it! Fab work Bev :)) Jules

    ReplyDelete

Pencil on toned paper

Here are a couple of experiments using graphite pencil and white coloured pencil, plus a touch of white gel pen on grey paper. I am reasona...